Sunday, December 10, 2006

Christmas Carol Confusion


I was reading in Reader's Digest last night and came across this:

Some famous Christmas carols, as heard by kids:
"On the first day of Christmas, my tulip gave to me..."
"He's making a list, chicken and rice..."
"Noel, Noel, Barney's the king of Israel..."
"In the meadow we can build a snowman, and pretend that he is sparse and brown..."
"Oh, what fun it is to ride with one horse, soap and hey..."

I was laughing with Lowell about these, and then realized that I was a little shaky on the words to "In the meadow we can build a snowman..." Lowell asked me how I sang it, so I belted out, "In the meadow we can build a snowman, and pretend that it is sparkling brown..." That song never did make sense to me. Why would someone pretend that a snowman was sparkling brown??!!?!?
Lowell cleared it up for me, and now it makes more sense (although I still think the words are really weird).

I've done this with several other songs. To name a couple:
"Do it like a lady..." instead of "Dude looks like a lady..." and
"Lady in red..." instead of "Let it rain..." (by Amanda Marshall)

I usually confidently sing out what I think it is until someone looks at me funny, and says what the words actually are. I usually say, "That's what I said!" and sheepishly continue singing along.

*sigh*


8 comments :

Susan said...

Wow..so funny. I actually used to sing "do it like a lady" too. :) I do commonly substitute words in songs if I don't know them...Darcen frequently points this out to me. :) Oh well, I'd rather keep singing than pause mid-song!

Anonymous said...

OK - that list of songs had me laughing so hard I was crying :)

Mama Bear said...

When my cousin steve was 6, he used to wander around singing that song "i miss you like crazy". But he had the lyrics wrong so he actually sang "i miss you like rabies". That still makes me laugh.

m+K said...

The radio station that I listened to in Edmonton has a segment called disclexia once a week where people would write in their mixed up lyrics. A lot of them were quite amusing but the one that sticks out was a particular lyric in the Alanis Morisette song "You Oughta Know." The actual lyric is "It's not fair, to deny me Of the cross I bear that you gave to me," but someone wrote in saying their sister always thought it was the "cross eyed bear" that you gave to me. hee hee
K
PS that is a really long comment to get across one point!

shareen said...

I used to think one song by Savage Garden (I can't remember which one) said "I want to bathe with you in the sink" instead of "in the sea"...oops. :)

Stephen and Amber said...

So funny. I have this memory of being around all these church people at a Pronghorns game belting out "Raise alittle hell" except I was singing "raise alittle hand" with actions and everything.

shareen said...

haha, amber, I still tell people that story about you when I hear that song. now I have so many more stories that you won't be the only one I talk about. :)

Lowell & Julie said...

Amber, I always thought it was "raise a little hand" too. I still sing it that way b/c I think it sounds nicer (but actions?? hee hee:)