Sunday, May 13, 2007

Splash, Pedal and Gasp (Mother's Day 2007)

Today, on MOTHER'S day (which was cold and wet), Lowell and I did a triathlon....with MOMMY! It was her first triathlon ever and she did smokin!

Results:
Julie: 1st in category; 1st overall (for females in my distance)
Lowell: 2nd in category; 4th overall (for males in his distance)
Mom: 1st in her category. WAHOOOOOOOGA!!!!!

Now I will tell you the story of the day mostly using pictures:

Lowell, Mom and I setting up our transition zones bright and early.


The G girls and soon-to-be G boy pre-race. This is when the nerves go bonkers and you need to make a trip to the bathroom every 2 seconds. L to R: Me, cousin Margriet, Mom, & Lowell.


Here's the first event: the swim. Mom is the top right young lady, and Lowell is the dude on the bottom with the white swim cap.


Here's my Mom getting ready to go for the bike ride in the cool weather and rain.


Ready to go...


And she's off! (She's saying, "My seat is slipping down!" & immediately after this picture was taken, she dismounted and adjusted her seat.)


Lowell and I just finished the bike and are ready for the run. Did our legs feel like jelly? Yep. Were our feet so sopping wet and numb that we couldn't feel them? Yessiree. Did we still have some gas left in the tank? You betcha!


Here's Mom ready to cross the finish line. WAHOOOOOOOO!


Here we are post - race.


And here we are post-race with the cuz.


Lowell getting his medal:


MOM GETTING HER MEDAL!!!


Me getting my 'first overall' prize (a killer back pack).


Here we are showing off our medals.


We had to do a shot like this showing off the permanent marker on our arms (clearly this is one of the perks of participating in such a race)!


Here's my Mama and our proud Papa who was also our diligent photographer.


And last but certainly not least: here we are relaxin in the hot tub.


And the best part is: We're DONE! And Mom did amazing and we're so very proud. Happy Mother's Day Mommio!

7 comments :

Mama Bear said...

I have a funny feeling. You might have inspired me to become a crazy athlete who does triathlons.

Hmm....nope. It's just gas!

But i'm glad you guys can do it!! All the power to ya! I'll cheer you on from the sidelines anytime :)

Susan said...

Wow...look at you guys! I am impressed!!

shareen said...

Wow! I am so proud, but certainly NOT surprised! Craig is shouting his congratulations from the living room. Get your little running feet on over here...we miss you!

Brent said...

Hey congratulations--and to your mom!! I have a friend who was in the Super Sprint. Which one did you guys do?

Kirstin

~kevan~ said...

I'm exhausted and cold just by looking at the pictures. Well done.

~kevan~ said...

btw - completely unrelated here, but Leah and I got our invitation today and laughed our asses off. Too funny!

GlennG said...

"Nice" sweatshirt, Lowell.