Sunday, November 19, 2006

Honesty wins out



A couple of weeks ago, I made a rather large purchase from MEC. I got a bicycle trainer and a shirt for Lowell (for his birthday) and a shirt and gloves for myself. As the total was quite a bit, I didn’t notice until I got home that I didn’t get charged at all for a $70 shirt. I must admit, it was a bit of a moral dilemma at first, but when I actually thought about it, there was no question that I would go back and pay what I owed them. So on Friday Lowell and I went to MEC to pay up. The man at the customer service desk was surprised and pleased, and wrote down a code for me to bring to the cashier to pay. When I got to the cashier, I presented her with the receipt from the day that I made the enormous purchase, and explained to her that I wasn’t charged for a shirt and I wanted to pay for it. She was very confused because she thought she misunderstood me, so I explained again. Her jaw literally dropped and she exclaimed, “Wow. That’s very honest of you!” Lowell asked if there was a discount for honesty, and she regretfully said that she didn’t have the power to give such a discount. It was silent for a couple seconds after that and I could just see the wheels turning in her head. She then said in a very sweet voice, “I can buy you a chocolate bar…. with my own money.” I assured her it was okay, but I appreciated the thought. She was so cute. Even though I didn’t get a discount or anything for my honesty, it was TOTALLY worth it. The look on her face made it all worthwhile, and, if nothing else, I think I helped restore someone’s faith in humankind.

5 comments :

shareen said...

man, I just wrote a whole massive comment about being proud of you and a story about suvi and blah blah blah but then it said I wasn't signed it right...stupid blogger beta. if you want to know the story just call me. still proud though.

Anonymous said...

Good for you Julie. Karyn and I have cursed our good moral consciences before in similar situations but you always feel much better in the end.

It's frustrating when you get to the counter to explain to the clerks what you're trying to do because they just aren't ready for someone to be honest like that. Ususally when someone comes back they're either returning or trying to get money off their purchase, not giving the store MORE money!

D

Elizabeth said...

Yay, Good for you.

mrwolverinebloggin said...

I bought a bike rack for my car and they gave me two. No reward either, but the right thing feels better on the conscience.

~Nanc. said...

I had some exceptional service at a Roma harware store recently and called in to tell them about their employing Nico who did such an amazing job. The manager was just plain shocked out of his socks too that someone would actually call in to do something other than complain!