Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Everyone is allowed a blonde moment once in a while…


The other day I went to Safeway all gung ho to stock up on groceries. Naturally, I stopped at the grocery cart pile in the parking lot to pick one up. I pulled out my loonie and attempted to release the captive cart. It didn’t work, so I tried again. And again. And… again. Finally, I gave up and just stood there, staring at the cart and the “loonie hole”, wondering why it wasn’t working. I thought I was losing my mind (you know that feeling when you over think something so much that it no longer makes any sense?). I was sure I knew how to get a cart. After staring blankly at the cart for several seconds (I won’t say just how many as it’s actually really humiliating), a Safeway employee (i.e. a young man) came to my rescue. “Can I help you?” He asked (clearly amused). I had basically swallowed all my pride at this point as I was so confused, so I blurted (in an annoyingly chipper voice), “How the heck do these things work?” He looked at me with a smirk on his face, said “a quarter” and then used his little magic tool to release it for me. A QUARTER. Of course.

After trying to hide my embarrassment with some lighthearted laughter (which, in hindsight, probably made me look even more ditsy), I dashed into the store and out of sight of the parking lot dude. From then on, I kept a close eye out for him and was ready to hit the deck at any sighting of him. I was really very embarrassed, and did not want to give him another opportunity to see my face (shameful as it was).

Moral of the story: If the loonie doesn’t work, try a quarter. If the quarter doesn’t work, maybe you failed to notice the complete lack of a hole and use of the cart is free. If you have to think about it too hard about it, turn around and go back home. It's clearly not a day you should be in public. It's a "blonde" day. It happens to the best of us...

7 comments :

Brent said...

Yup I've definitely been there! Except I gave the cashier four quarters to change into a loonie so that I could get a cart that takes quarters... ;)

Kirstin

m+K said...

Julie, I have done that too! In Edmonton at the 104th Save On the carts take loonies (I believe this is still the case) and when we moved to Chilliwack I tried to put a loonie in the Save on cart but it took a quarter instead. They really should standardize these carts so we all don't have blonde moments. ;)
Miss you but love checking your blog!
Kylie

shareen said...

once I put a quarter in one that took loonies and it got stuck but I didn't want to lose my 25 cents (dang that dutch heritage) so I was trying to pry it out and had a similar incident with a cart-boy who looked about 13. :)

Unknown said...

That's my girl! =)

Beautiful and blonde! *wink*

Mama Bear said...

I've never done anything silly or ridiculous in my whole life....ok, there WAS the time i put one CAN of pumpkin in my pumpkin loaf, instead of one CUP. But that's doesn't count :P

Anonymous said...

I have blonde moments all the time. And I'm not blonde :)

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that maybe it's not a blonde moment - but a girl moment - cause it's only the ladies that are commenting. It must be cause we always have such important things on our minds that something has to get bumped, and the obvious thing is the not so important instructions on how to work a grocery cart! I know I've had similar experiences....