Sunday, August 28, 2011

week 37 - swiss chard

Week 37- officially “full term”! Apparently Hazelnut is as “lofty” as a stalk of swiss chard (i.e., as long as a stalk of swiss chard). This is kind of a lame-o week (vegetable-wise) if you know what I mean. But I guess there are only SO many large melons, so we take what we can get.

More specifically, Hazelnut is about 6 1/3 lbs and just over 19 inches long. All sorts of fun stuff is going on- he’s pooping little sticky poos (hehe), blinking, sucking, inhaling, exhaling, gripping, and—of course—getting fat!

The listy-loo...

1. I’ve been swinging back and forth between being absolutely terrified of labour and being soooo ready to TAKE ON THE CHALLENGE. I also continue to fluctuate between begging Hazelnut to stay in there as long as possible (so many things to be done!), and being SO EAGER to meet this mystery child who is half-Lowell-half-Julie. A mini half-Lowell-half-Julie… what exactly will THAT be like??! INTRIGUING!

2. We’ve told Hazelnut several times that if he IS to be born early, then he MUST be born on Sept 13. That way our family birthdays will be Sept 13 (Hazelnut), Oct 13 (me) and Nov 13 (Lowell). Otherwise, he’s been sternly instructed to stay in there at LEAST until the 18th. We’ll see how good this kid is at obeying this early on…

3. I’m NESTING!

Amid my cleaning and organizing, I canned cherries with my mama, and had a COOKING DAY with Chels. We did a big grocery shopping trip last week, and then on the morning of the big day, I picked up the meat.

Being a big ol pregnant lady pushing a cart filled with nothing but meat tends to garner some stares. But being the gal whose support hose peek over her BOOTS in 34 degree C weather, I’m used to more than a little ogling.

We BOTH contributed caffeinated bevies for ourselves AND each other (unplanned), so we started the day off good and jacked up on caffeine (and a little jittery).

As a result of a series of pregnancy-induced mathematical errors (and perhaps hyper-caffeinated brains), our 44 planned meals expanded to 62 (not that we’re complaining).

4. The YMCA’s hottest spin instructor (Lowell…who else?) has retired!

I joined him to the end, but I can hardly refer to my participation as ‘spinning’. I more so sat on the bike and just sort of let my legs slowly go round and round at a very low tension without following a thing Lowell said. I’ll be honest… having this 40 extra pounds press my tender pelvic/buttal area onto a hard, narrow seat was NOT ideal, so Hazelnut and I are happy to bid spinning farewell for the time being. I do believe that Lowell's spinning legacy WILL live on!

5. It’s been a lot of fun reading your contest entries! Initially the boys were kicking butt, but now the girls are catching up. 60% of you people think boy, 40% think girl. The average birthday guess is September 18 (the actual due date!) with the earliest guess being September 10th, and the latest being September 30th.

We love so many of the creative questions and answers you've submitted, and I will share two of my favourites. This one was submitted by good ol Graham R...
Q: Will Lowell's massive new muscles rip through his shirt as he carries Julie to the hospital?
A: Of course! Not only will his shirt be shredded right off his back because of his huge pipes, but he will ALSO be carrying Kumeu in his other arm. Julie will be so impressed that she will barely feel stressed or have any labour pains!

And this was submitted by Joelle...
Q: Number of words that come out of Julie's mouth during labour that have never come out of her mouth before?
A: 3
Q: Number of words that come out of Lowell's mouth during labour that have never come out of his mouth before?
A: 52

Lowell's brother suggested that perhaps Hazelnut would weigh 13lbs 2 oz. BITE YOUR TONGUE, LANDON GEORGE!

And by the way, if you haven't entered the contest yet, you better do so now!

6. Oh MY. I gained 4 lbs in the last 2 weeks. My doctor tossed out the term ‘water retention’, so I’m just going to grab that like a lifeline….suuuure… that MUST be the reason for the double chin I'm now sporting...

7. Whenever I picture being a stay-at-home Mom, I imagine Lowell being home with Hazelnut, Kumeu and me 24/7. Sadly, this simply ISN’T going to be the case (SOMEONE'S gotta bring home the bacon!). I better start picturing reality soon here…

8. My feet/ankles look like that of a 95-year old woman's so swollen are they. And also, it feels like I'm walking around with 7-lb weights on each ankle!

9. I had a dream that Hazelnut was a boy, and I woke up and said, "Lowell! I had a dream that Hazelnut was a boy... and he had a penis and everything!"

10. Three weeks!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!


7 comments :

Sneep Family said...

Yay! 3 weeks!!! What kind of meals did you guys make??? I am doing my big cook/freezer meals in October & I need ideas!!!!! When are you going to post baby room pics??? I need to see baby room!!!

Lowell & Julie said...

We mostly chose recipes from The Big Cook, but included a few other goods such as chicken quesadillas, a Mexican cornbread dish, and meatballs. Yummmmm.... :)

You'll see baby room when WE do! The crib is still in a box in the garage... so much to do! :)

Julieanne said...

You look so good! Well done on all the meals, that's such a good idea. I need to get on here and do my predicting one of these days.

Sneep Family said...

You froze quesadillas???? Does that defrost well??? Do you bake them after or put them on a grill? I have never thought of pre freezing them :)

Lowell & Julie said...

Jill- they're actually 'pork tortillas' but we made them with chicken. Lowell's sisters make them regularly on THEIR cooking day, and they passed along the recipe. I'll email it to you right away! :)

Cheyenne said...

Lady Jane-face the facts-you are cracking me up, hardcore.

You're going to be a great Mom.

Did Felf aka Chels make you choose all chicken recipes so St Nick will eat the goods?

Lowell & Julie said...

Cheyenne- you make me laugh. We surely DID make a lot of chicken meals! N&C have already indulged in 3 of them, and apparently Nicholas was all over them- SUCCESS!! :)