Sunday, January 11, 2009

Zorbonauts

On January 3rd, we went ZORBING.

Zorb.com sums this activity up nicely...

Zorb is the sport of rolling down a hill inside a giant inflatable ball and where New Zealand, once again leads the world in stupid things to do while you're on a vacation.


That makes us... Zorbonauts (and perhaps stupid?)!

Zorbing originated in New Zealand (specifically, Rotorua where we were) in the 1990s. Since then it has become a worldwide business.

We did liquid-zorbing where a few buckets of water were added to the mix and you remain unattached in the inner ball. It was like extreme slip 'n sliding!

We were driven to the top...

(notice the zorb conveyor on the left bringing the balls to the top)

Then we dove into the little hole and were ready to be launched down the hill...

(Lowell attempted to stay standing on his ride down... unsuccessfully)

(We opted for the Zig-Zag as opposed to the straight course for added adventure)

When IN the ball, you can't really see out, but apparently when you're OUT, you can sure see in! I wish I would've known that BEFORE I plucked my bathing suit out of my bum while at the base where everyone was watching.

We likened the following experience to slipping out of the birth canal...

Julie Anne is so proud to now hold the official title of "zorbonaut"...

The only negative part to the whole experience was that it ripped off Lowell's 3rd marathon-wounded toe nail while he was hopping, running, tumbling, and flipping inside the giant inflated ball. GROSS (and I apologize for posting the following picture...)!

Zorb power all the way...

Next we went to a local park to scout out some geisers. First we found a tree that screamed "PHOTO OP PHOTO OP!"...

Then we moved on to the geisers. The whole of Rotorua smells of sulfur/egg farts because of the geisers. I personally didn't mind the smell at all, but Julie Anne hated it...

There was a nice little hot pool for us to soak our feet in. It took Julie Anne longer than the rest of us to adjust to the heat...

After the relaxing foot-soak, we headed to Turangi to settle in our hostel for the night before our 7am shuttle would whisk us to the beginning of "NZ's best day hike"... all 19kms of it.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hey now, I got in last so I was still adjusting when he took the picture! That water was crazy hot though...I felt like I was wearing red rubber boots when I got out!

You're almost caught up on the blog posts Julie...well done! Pressure is on I guess since you will have a whole nother heap load of pictures when your brother and sis in law arrive...super soon...how exciting!

Bloggy Mama said...

That is INSANE!!! I've never heard of that sport before, but it looks super fun.

Anonymous said...

That is just great guys I didn't know that you could actually zorb any where. That sounds like quite a fun time wish I was there.