Thursday, January 29, 2009

Raglan 09

On Saturday morning (January 24th), Lowell and I trucked it to Raglan (popular surf beach/town) to meet Marc & Kylie for the long weekend.

When Marc called us on Friday to indicate their whereabouts, he said, “I have bad news and I have good news. The bad news is that there isn’t a single camp site available in Raglan. The good news is that the owners of this campground like us and offered us their personal spot… at a discount to boot.”

Sweet as!

After scarfing down some lunch, we rushed to the beach to BOOGY BOARD and generally just bum around and have a good time.

Time for the ever graceful handstand series. C'est moi...

Aaaaaand Kylie...

Mmmmmm... tasty dead jelly fish.

Allow me to zoom in on that for you...

(We have no boogy boarding pictures because we were having way to much fun catching the waves to plod back to our stuff to get a camera.)

4.5 hours later, we returned to our campsite, rinsed the caked mud off our bodies, and trekked into town to relieve our hunger pains.

Kylie took this opportunity to take close-up pictures of Marc and my faces as we both had an obscene amount of sun-induced freckles.

After dinner, we took a little bit of a detour en route to our campsite and enjoyed the lovely evening weather and the beautiful view.

We also played a little bit (while Marc tried different camera settings on his flashy new camera)...

(The blurry blueish blob is none other than Marcus).

(Kylie is evidently part turquoise ghost).

AND I WENT CROSS-EYED! I’ve only been able to cross my eyes for a year or two, and I’m only able to do it with my finger directly in front of my nose. I always envy people who can spontaneously pull off ridiculous cross-eyed faces. Crossed eyes gives goofy looks so much more PUNCH.

Let’s take Marc and Kylie for example…


Soooooo classy.

Upon returning to Gus, we ended the evening off right… with Tim Tam Slams. I know that people in North America revel in Tim Tams slams as well, but they're just DIFFERENT here. Firstly, Tim Tams ORIGINATED somewhere down under, and secondly, there is such a CRAZY selection of Tim Tams here in NZ that no slam is quite the same. What will it be…extra chocolatey? Super caramely? Fruity? Nutty? Filled with mustard??!

I personally prefer the mustard ones. Dipped in molasses.

2 comments :

Bloggy Mama said...

Mustard? Gross. Also, wow to the zow on those freckles!!

Anonymous said...

Julie I have to say, I think your handstands are improving. Also, can you stop having sooo much fun and posting really good pictures on your blog... Its making it very difficult to look at my window and see snow. I almost bust a gut laughing at your blog tonight. I really needed that after the long, tiring weekend that I had... Thanks!!!