Thursday, January 18, 2007

What the heck is Julie up to?

Welllllll, I’m in the middle of my first placement for speech pathology working at a specialized and internationally recognized stuttering institution. It's an intensive clinic that works all day every day for 3 weeks with people who stutter. And…I love it! It’s been almost 2 weeks and we’re already seeing a huge difference. It's totally inspiring. I can't imagine having a stutter so severe- it's completely debilitating (and that's why I hate when people make fun of stuttering). It’s soooooo satisfying that we’re able to make such a difference in these people’s lives! I’m lovin it… my supervisor….colleagues….secretary….clients…I love them all!!

After this placement, I’ll be working at a hospital working with both acute and rehab patients. Then from April to June, it’s back to Lethy for me where I’ll be working with pre-school and school-age kids. I sort of have a feeling that the hospital placement may kick me in the butt (at least initially), but I’m still looking forward to it.

After June I’ll be DONE, then in July I’m getting MARRIED, then… uh… I’ll let you know when I know!

10 comments :

m+K said...

Julie, I am so happy you are enjoying your placement! It is so amazing when you can go to work and actually love what you do! Are you super busy?

m+K said...

Julie, I am so happy you are enjoying your placement! It is so amazing when you can go to work and actually love what you do! Are you super busy?

Mama Bear said...

I can't believe you have the next 6 months of your life all planned out. I'm envious. I can't even plan what i'm going to have for dinner tonight.

Unknown said...

Julie,

I am so proud of you! WOW, it seems like a few month ago that you were nervous about even getting into your masters. You were accepted into two in a super hard program, and you came out of it with stellar grades and a ton of knowledge. It is great to see the passion also. There are a lot of people out there who need help, and I am so proud that you are offering them your abilities! Thanks also for helping us to see how disabling stuttering really is, and how inappropriate it is to make fun of those who have to struggle with it their entire lives.

You Rock My World Jules!

Mama Bear said...

great words of encouragement from that boy! I think you should marry him.

Lowell & Julie said...

Aw, thanx Lowell. I think I will marry him Shelley :)
And Kylie, I don't have much to do after work anymore, but we have looong days there, and they're intense!

shareen said...

oh julie bulie...so grown up. I'm getting all teary (quick, someone crack a joke!) but that may be because my eye has been bugging me for days. :) I'm proud of you for being so brilliant and so passionate. It's great to hear you loving what you do.

Anonymous said...

You are going to make a STUNNING bride!!!

Jacqueline said...

Julie, You don't happen to be at ISTAR? I will be heading there for a placement in the summer. Sounds like a great experience. Great work!

Lowell & Julie said...

Yep, I sure am! I forgot that U of T is different than U of A in that you do placements as you go. You'll love it there, it's great. I'm sure Holly's your supervisor. She's AWESOME!
Talk to you later!! =)