Tuesday, June 08, 2010

The Beauville Legacy 1988-2010

This van started its life transporting athletes at the 1988 Calgary Olympics. Soon after, we checked it out in Ponoka and brought it home to be part of our family.

We gave him a little makeover, and named him Pinocchio (because 1. he was from Ponoka, and 2. his nose was super short in sharp contrast to Pinocchio's long nose). The name didn't stick around, but he sure did...

He took the family on many camping adventures...

And transported many MANY groups on hiking trips, sports tournaments, school trips. and various other outings...

In 1994, he took our family all the way across Canada and back (and we have the bumper stickers to prove it)....

He was a well-used napping spot...

And functioned as a cozy reading nook...

He was a restaurant...


And a limo...

He was well taken care of...

He was Marc, Carlynne and my wedding vehicle...

He doubled as a U-Haul on a regular basis, and was a staple on my parents' street. Our friends will probably breeze right by their place without this steady landmark present...

My Dad was his best friend...

And this week-- after 22 years as part of our family-- we said good-bye to the van as he starts his life with another family.

Mom and Dad now have a new van, and we hope he lives up to the G van name!

Farewell ol' boy. You will be missed!

7 comments :

Gillian said...

Oh! So sad! I too have many fond memories of the van! Especially school sports tournaments... I hope his next life is just as full!

Anonymous said...

I remember your dad stuffing what seemed like hundreds of shopping carts in the back of the van for rez move in day. It had an element of clown car to it - it could carry far more than it would seem possible!

shareen said...

I hope that van lives forever. And that whoever rides in it thinks of us...and Eddie the Eagle.

m+K said...

Goodbye big red van, goodbye! I really like the picture of Marc reading in the back, he looks SO thrilled to be getting his picture taken.

m+K said...

i forgot someone tried to name the van pinocchio. we always called it "the van". our family is so literal.

maybe that is why we now own "the 4runner" and "the subaru".

great consolidation of van memories julie. i really like the picture of dad taking me and all my friends on a hike somewhere. i will forward that to ryan and chris.

marc

Carlynne said...

The picture with mom and dad hugging it at the end actually brought tears to my eyes. I loved looking at all the pictures. It really showed how the van was part of our family. Goodbye van!

Unknown said...

My dad bought a van just like the first picture, colors and all, in 1984. We also had the aluminum running boards. We have a picture of the family in front of the van on the day of delivery. I learned to drive in that van. It served a family of 6 very well. What is totally ironic is, although it has been several cars later. My folks now have a blue Toyota Sienna van as well.